At a glance:
|Glen Burton GA204BCO-BK Acoustic Electric Cutaway Guitar, Black||204 Reviews|
|Fender FA-135CE Cutaway Concert Acoustic-Electric Guitar Natural||18 Reviews|
|PR-4E Acoustic/Electric Guitar Player Package||201 Reviews|
On a budget and need a decent acoustic electric guitar to do the job? Here’s our Buyer’s Guide to finding the Best Acoustic-Electric guitar Under $300.
If you love the sound of an acoustic guitar and want to amplify it without using mics, it is possible with an acoustic electric guitar. You also don’t have to spend so much on it because there are many models that come at very affordable prices.
Great Value Acoustic-Electric Guitars on a Budget
What is an acoustic electric guitar?
An acoustic electric guitar is a hybrid of an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar. Essentially, it sounds just like an acoustic guitar when it is unplugged but it is also fitted with a pickup or microphone inside so that its sound will be amplified and be loud enough for a bigger area.
“Piezo pickups”, which can be cost effective, are mostly used to make sure that the sound produced still sounds like an acoustic guitar, but just louder and clear.
Most of these guitars also have preamps to help boost the sound even before the amplifier does its job. Some also have an equalizer for players to alter the sound to their preference.
Many guitar players choose an acoustic electric guitar for its advantages, one of which is that the acoustic guitar is easily amplified by just plugging it in.
You won’t need a mic and a stand manually placed in front of the sound hole of the guitar. Your playing and the music you create is heard easily when plugged into the additional amplification.
Another advantage is the broader range of performance situations it allows. You can certainly play it as an acoustic guitar for more intimate jamming sessions where volume may need to be minimum, or you can plug it in when you need to be heard in a larger environment.
The sound and tone produced can also be altered, depending on the electronics that are fitted in the guitar, to better suite the atmosphere.
Let’s have a look at our top choices for budget friendly instruments:
Glen Burton GA204BCO-BK Acoustic Electric Cutaway Guitar
The Glen Burton GA204BCO-BK Acoustic Electric Cutaway Guitar is the best acoustic electric guitar under $300 for beginners looking into buying all that they will need to play the guitar.
Aside from the guitar itself, the purchase also includes several accessories such as a guitar strap, picks, guitar strings, battery, tuner, amp cord, 10-watt amp, and a gig bag. The guitar features a cutaway to make it more comfortable to reach the frets.
The body of the guitar has a flame top and basswood back and sides. This provides that good acoustic sound. For the electrical part, it has an active 4-band 7545 EQ and a battery-operated preamp. This guitar is available in black or a natural color and has a smooth finish.
- The guitar body has a flame top and basswood for the back and sides
- The neck and bridge are both made of catalpa while the fingerboard is made of rosewood
- The gear tuners are sealed and it makes use of a steel strings
- The package includes the strings, guitar bag, 10 watt amp, truss rod, strap, picks and a digital tuner
- It includes an amp that you can use to practice playing the guitar
- It comes at a very affordable price
- It is available in black or a natural color
- The guitar has a preamp, which enables the sound to be amplified even before it goes to the amplifier where it is further amplified
- Needs to be set up to for it to sound well. This can be done by more experienced guitar players or by a guitar store when players are still beginners
- Strings may need to be replaced for those of a better quality
Fender FA-135CE Cutaway Concert Acoustic-Electric Guitar
The Fender FA-135CE Cutaway Concert Acoustic-Electric is a sleek and modern guitar that you can play plugged or unplugged.
It has a laminated spruce top and X-bracing that helps provide a clean and punchy sound, which is great for lead guitars. It has chrome tuners that enable players to tune the guitar precisely and keep it tuned.
The electronic system used in the guitar comes with a Fishman ION-T preamp, which also has a built-in chromatic tuner so that you can easily tune your guitar and won’t need a separate tuner.
The preamp included provides control over the volume and some effects. This is the best electric guitar under $300 that comes with a built-in tuner and preamp.
- This guitar has a laminated spruce top and basswood back and sides with a gloss polyurethane finish to maximize resonance
- It has an X-bracing for support and great sound quality meant for a lead guitar
- The fingerboard and bridge are made of rosewood and it has white dot inlays
- The machined heads are durable and are made of die-cast chrome
- It is fitted with a Fishman Ion-T preamp that also has a built-in tuner
- It has a sleek and modern design with a cutaway near the neck for better access to the frets
- This is a very lightweight guitar so you can easily take it wherever you go and it also prevents your neck, shoulders and arms from being strained while playing it for a long period of time
- Affordable great sounding guitar
- Comes with an Allen key to adjust the truss rod
- Doesn’t come with a case
- Needs to be set up because action is initially too high
Epiphone PR-4E Acoustic-Electric Guitar Player Package
The Epiphone PR-4E Acoustic/Electric Guitar Player Package offers great value for its price. It comes with additional accessories that beginners and more experienced players will love. Additional accessories include a guitar bag, amp, cord, strap, picks, instructional DVD, tuner and strings.
The guitar itself comes in a great shape and size that is comfortable for players both beginners and more intermediate players alike. It is made to withstand great use and is made with a mahogany body and spruce top.
The hardware is chrome for it to withstand use. This is the best acoustic electric guitar under $300 that has a passive piezo pickup with volume control.
- Package comes with various accessories including a guitar bag, strap, chord, picks, tuner, strings, instructional DVD and amp
- Can be configured to fit different game consoles such as a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 or Xbox One
- The body is made from mahogany and spruce while the neck is made from mahogany with a rosewood fingerboard
- It has chrome machined heads that look great and are durable too
- It has a passive piezo pickup
- The cutaway style of the guitar enables players to easily reach the frets past the neck-body joint
- The included Epiphone 10-watt amp provides more than enough customization including gain, treble, volume, mid, bass and a boost switch
- It comes with a tuner that is easy to use.
- Players may experience fret buzz when it is not properly set up. More experienced players can set it up on their own while beginners would have to bring it to their local guitar shop
- Strings are not the best quality and should be replaced to achieve a better sound
Compare these models:
Even if you only have $300 as your budget for an acoustic electric guitar, you can certainly find one that you can practice on and make beautiful music with.
In our opinion, the Epiphone PR-4E Acoustic-Electric Player Pack qualifies as the best acoustic electric guitar under $300 of our choices. That includes not only the guitar, but also other accessories that will be useful for beginners and more advanced players alike.
With proper setup and tuning, this guitar can help you learn how to play and improve your skills.