When your budget isn't that big, you can still enjoy making music with a more affordable electric guitar. There are great electric guitars that have a price tag of under $500, or even $300 that can fit your preference.
Great Choices at a Glance:
|Squier by Fender Deluxe Stratocaster Electric Guitar - Pearl White Metallic - Maple Fingerboard||64 Reviews||from $299.99|
|Jamstik+ Black Portable App Enabled MIDI Electric Guitar, for Beginners and Music Creators, iOS,...||213 Reviews||$299.99 $291.90|
|Yamaha Pacifica Series PAC112V Electric Guitar; Old Violin Sunburst||57 Reviews||$299.99|
How to choose an electric guitar under $500
The best way to learn how to play an electric guitar is to have a decent instrument that you can practice on. At first it may seem that some electric guitars are too expensive, which is why some choose to go for a self-contained acoustic. If you're committed to learning and playing an electric guitar, you'll certainly find one that will fit your $500 budget.
There are tons of electric guitars are under $500, but you still have to make sure a particular electric guitar you choose is well suited for you. There are electrics that not only sound great but look great too - but keep in mind cosmetic appointments come at a price. Still, these are instruments you'll certainly be happy to take with you to your gigs and jam sessions.
Additionally, there are also electric guitars that are entirely portable. This kind of guitar can help you practice just about anywhere. of course there are also electric guitars that are produced by well-known brands; these may be budget friendly but they're still great quality.
When selecting a guitar, it is important to consider how you're going to use it. This will help make sure the guitar you choose will really be useful to you.
Squier by Fender Deluxe Stratocaster Electric Guitar
At a Glance
- Basswood body w/ gloss polyurethan3 finish
- C-shape maple neck with 9.5 in radius, maple fingerboard and 22 medium jumbo frets
- Three Duncan DesignedTM Single-Coil Pickups
- Synchronous Twin-Pivot Tremolo
- Master volume, 2 tone controls and a 5-position selector switch
The Squier by Fender Deluxe Stratocaster Electric Guitar is a very affordable electric guitar that beginners and intermediate players can buy. It has a basswood body and maple neck with a radius of 9.5”. The pickups used for the guitar are three Duncan Designed single coils, and although they're not the best looking pickups for electric guitars, they do a great job when it comes to sound.
The Squire Deluxe Stratocaster comes with a built-in tuner that is good enough to tune the guitar and play it, although there are tuners that are better. The well-crafted neck and fingerboard are made from maple and very smooth; that’s why moving up and down the fretboard is easy and free from snags. They come in 4 beautiful colors and each of them looks more expensive than they really are. This is the best electric guitar under $500 for those who want an electric guitar that not only sounds good, but looks good as well.
- Guitar body is made of basswood and has a polyurethane finish
- Neck is made from maple and has a radius of 9.5”
- Has 22 medium jumbo frets that is on a maple fingerboard
- Makes use of single-coil pickups that are Three Duncan Designed
- Has a synchronous twin-pivot tremolo
- Has controls for volume, tone and a position selector
- Available in different colors
- Low price for the great value of the guitar
- Looks just like a high end guitar
- Frets are smooth and there are no snags or fret sprouts
- Difficult to keep in tune with excessive use of the whammy bar
- Tuners are not the best quality
- Guitar may not be set up and needs to be adjusted to lower the action
Jamstik+ Black Portable App Enabled MIDI Electric Guitar
- Works Wirelessly with Your Device and Our Apps to Teach You Guitar
- Smart Fretboard Gives You Instant Feedback
- Play Chords in Minutes with Simple Interactive Tutorials and Games
- MIDI Compatible for Music Production & Composition
- Real Strings and Frets on a Truly Portable Form-Factor
The Jamstik+ Black Portable App Enabled MIDI Electric Guitar provides a modern way to learn how to play the guitar. It is used in conjunction with a smart device where you can download and install the app that it comes with. It connects to the smart device via Bluetooth for a wireless experience.
The smart fretboard is very responsive and it can easily detect where you place your fingers and show it in the app without delay. The app teaches you how to play the guitar through lessons and games, making it much more enjoyable to learn.
It may not look like a typical electric guitar but it is a portable version. This is the best electric guitar under $500 for those who want something that they can practice on no matter where they are. It is something that can easily fit a backpack or carry-on luggage at the airport to help pass the time.
- Uses Bluetooth technology for a wireless experience
- It has a smart fretboard that instantly reacts to the touch of your fingertips
- Comes with tutorials and games so beginners can easily play various chords in just minutes
- Makes use of real strings to make the guitar feel real
- It comes with a guitar strap, a rechargeable battery, 2 picks and 4 free apps
- MIDI compatible
- Can be wirelessly connected to your device
- It is MIDI compatible which means that you can change the sound produced various instruments like an acoustic guitar or a ukulele
- It is easy to take the guitar anywhere because of its very small size
- You need another device to install the app for it to work
- Strings can be replaced but replacement are only available at Jamstik
- It only has 5 frets
Yamaha Pacifica Series PAC112V Electric Guitar
- Solid Alder Body
- Maple Bolt-On Neck
- Rosewood Fingerboard
- Vintage Tremelo with block saddles
- 5 Position Switch with coil tap
The guitars that fall under the Yamaha Pacifica Series such as this PAC112V Electric Guitar are well known for their tone as well as how great they are to play. It comes from a well- known brand when it comes to producing musical instruments. It is the best electric guitar under $500 for those who are looking for a guitar with a great quality of sound.
The guitar comes in different colors and there are also different models that are under the same series. They can also be purchased as a set with accessories, with the amp only, or a guitar only.
- Body is made from solid alder
- The neck is made of maple and is bolt-on
- It has a beautiful rosewood fingerboard
- It includes a vintage tremolo
- Finished with a clear varnish to showcase the natural grain of the wood
- Has a 5-position pickup switch with humbucker coil-splitting
- There are 2 single-coil pickups and an Alnico V magnet humbucker
- Guitar can be purchased as the guitar alone, with a set of accessories or only with the amp
- Low action makes it easier for beginners to use and practice on it
- Materials used for the guitar are properly built to make sure they are durable
- Initially set up for low action which causes some fret buzz, but this can be remedied by having it properly set up by a local music store
- Doesn’t include other accessories such as an amp, picks, guitar cord or a stand
Affordable guitars under $500 are available today and you can find a great quality model within that budget. The three mentioned here are all under $500 but if we just had to choose one, we’d say that the Squier by Fender Deluxe Stratocaster Electric Guitar is the best electric guitar under $500 for those who are concerned not only with the sound and quality but also the appearance of their guitar. This guitar can certainly be taken to gigs and jamming sessions.