Looking for the best electric guitar for beginners? Here are a few great choices on the market which come in a variety of prices to fit various budgets.
Some Great Beginner Guitar Choices at a Glance:
|Full Size Black Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package||1,482 Reviews||from $99.95|
|Epiphone Les Paul Electric Guitar Player Package, Ebony||724 Reviews||from $398.99|
|Squier by Fender Short Scale Stratocaster - Brown Sunburst Bundle with Frontman 10G Amp, Cable,...||43 Reviews||from $199.99|
|LyxPro Electric Guitar with 20w Amp, Package Includes All Accessories, Digital Tuner, Strings,...||190 Reviews||from $129.99|
|Maestro by Gibson Electric Guitar Starter Package, Vintage Sunburst||63 Reviews||$145.80|
Choosing the right electric guitar for beginners
Purchasing your very first electric guitar, either for yourself or for your child, can be very exciting. It can also get a little confusing if you’re not familiar with some of the terminologies, or simply don’t know what to look for.
Luckily for you, seeking out the best electric guitar for beginners has resulted in a few good choices available in today’s market, coming in a variety of prices to fit various budgets.
When shopping for the best option, there are a few things that you should consider. Here are some of them:
First, you should set a budget for the guitar you are purchasing. Just be careful about guitars that seem to be overly cheap. The market is flooded with inferior instruments that we classify as GSOs – Guitar Shaped Objects. They may not be of the good quality and you can end up wasting your money with them. It is important to also see the quality of the guitar in relation to the price.
Another thing to consider is the brand. This can help determine whether a guitar is a great choice or not. Most brands that produce professional grade guitar models for performers will also have sub-brands that are targeted towards the entry level beginners. For example; Gibson use the Epiphone name, Fender uses the Squier name and so on for the lower cost versions of their best guitar designs.
It is also important to consider how you are going to use the guitar. Are you just purchasing a guitar for a game or do you want to really play music with it? You should also think about the certain genre that you are going to play and match your guitar with it.
- Full Scale Black Electric Guitar with Maple Neck
- Humbucker Pickup For Rock Sound
- Case Strap Pitchpipe Picks Stringwinder Cord
- Guitar Amp with Headphone Jack & Overdrive (distortion)
- Everything You Need To Start Playing
This electric guitar set by Davison Guitars is the best electric guitar for beginners who don’t have a large budget. It is a well-put guitar but the quality isn’t the best. It will do as a beginner guitar or a guitar that you can use for your games.
The guitar is lightweight and the amp is small, making it a portable set that can still pack a punch. The guitar body is beautifully finished in black, and the maple neck comes in a contrasting color to the body. It has dots on the fretboard for easy identification and the machine heads stay in place to keep the guitar tuned.
This set comes complete with the amp, guitar strings, picks, strap, carry case and cables to connect to the amp. It is a full-scale guitar that comes with everything you need to play it.
- Comes in a full size 39”
- Black electric guitar body made from basswood with contrasting maple neck
- Has a humbucker pickup
- Includes a carrying case, strap, pitch pipe, string winder cord, picks and a guitar amp
- The guitar amp has a headphone jack and an overdrive
- Right-hand guitar
- Fretboard is made of rosewood
Davison Guitars Full Size Beginner Starter Package
- The amp it comes with is small in size but is very useful
- Very affordable price is suited for beginners
- Lightweight guitar is comfortable to carry and play
- Compatible with the Rocksmith game
- It doesn’t get out of tune easily
- Some experience fret buzz especially with the E string
- The amp can also produce a buzzing sound and may need replacement for better sound quality
- Many do not find the pitch pipe useful
- Epiphone's Les Paul Player Pack has everything you need to start playing guitar right away
- It includes a genuine Les Paul Special-II LTD guitar featuring two classic hum bucker pickups and a 10-watt Electra guitar amp with a 10ft guitar cable
- Epiphone also includes a clip-on headstock chromatic tuner, a guitar strap, medium picks, and an easy-to-carry gig bag
- And best of all for new players, the Les Paul Player Pack comes with free downloadable guitar lessons from media
Epiphone has been creating innovative guitar designs for the past century and they are well known for producing fine crafted instruments. This Les Paul Electric Guitar Player Package is known for the great sound quality, which it produces due to the open-coil humbucker and the solid wood body. This produces a great quality of sound without buzz, whether you use it for clean tones or on overdrive.
It may be more expensive than the others listed here but it offers a better quality guitar with additional useful accessories that beginners will certainly use. It is the best electric guitar for beginners who are really picky with the sound quality that their guitar produces. It is a less expensive alternative that is great for beginners to practice on before they upgrade into the more expensive Fender or Gibson guitars.
The complete package contains the guitar, an amp, a guitar cable, a tuner, picks, gig bag, and a clip-on tuner. It comes in various colors to suit your preference and it is also available in different game configurations for compatibility to your game console.
- The player package includes a Les Paul Special-II LTD guitar
- The guitar has two classic humbucker pickups
- The package includes a 10-watt amp, 10’ guitar cable, gig bag, guitar strap, picks, and clip-on tuner
- Solid wood guitar body and mahogany neck
- Fretboard is made from rosewood
- Right-handed guitar
- Has the Les Paul signature to easily identify it as a great quality guitar
- Downloadable guitar lessons are also available and are quite useful for new players
- The solid body combined with the open-coil humbuckers produce a buzz free and rich sound
- The clip-on chromatic tuner makes it easier to tune the guitar
- Rosewood fretboard has dot inlays for easy fret identification
- Available in various colors and game configuration
- Players who plan to replace the lighter strings with heavier ones may need a truss rod due to the additional tension
- Some don’t like the quality of the amp and have replaced it with better quality amp that produces a better quality of sound.
You don’t necessarily have to spend a lot of money to have the look and feel of a Fender Stratocaster. In fact, you can get a low-end version of this guitar, and it is made by Fender, so you know it is going to be a quality instrument, even if it is inexpensive.
The Fender Squier was introduced to the world in 1982, and is mainly produced overseas, at factories that are mainly located in China and other parts of Asia. They are able to manufacture these guitars with cost-efficient materials, and bring the savings to you.
This is a bundle package, so not only do you get the Squier guitar, you also get everything that is needed to jump right in and start playing. All the student needs to do is tune it up and it is ready to play, right out of the box.
- This bundle package comes with the Squier electric guitar, and all of the necessary accessories. The bundle includes the guitar, a practice amp, a guitar shoulder strap, extra strings, a polishing cloth, and three guitar picks
- This guitar has a lightweight body, unlike the heavier Stratocaster, making it a great choice for children. It has three single-coil pickups, which give it that classic Stratocaster tone, and a hardtail bridge for perfect tuning
- The Squier Stratocaster has a master volume control and a master tone control, with chrome finish hardware. The tuning machines are standard die-cast, and there is a three-ply, white pick guard
Squier by Fender Stratocaster Pack
- One of the great things about a Squier is that because it is made by Fender, it is resalable. If your young learner decides that they aren’t interested, sell it and get some of your money back
- This is a short-scale Stratocaster that is 24 inches in length. This smaller size makes it ideal for children, or anyone who has smaller hands
- An instructional DVD is included, and it is loaded with tips that are geared toward the beginning guitar player
- Check the box to make sure that all items are included. Due to packing errors, some customers have not received the entire bundle package
- There have been issues with scratches and dings on these guitars, but they can be replaced by contacting customer service
Most kids would love to start out on a real Strat, but this is just way too much money to spend on a beginner. The Fender Squier Strat is the ideal compromise, because you still get the Fender quality, and the Strat style, without the regular Strat price.
This bundle package is a great deal, with everything the student needs, and it is a guitar that they can learn and grow with.
- Full-size 39" electric guitar and all the accessories necessary to start playing, including a 20W amplifier, digital clip-on tuner, 6 strings, 2 picks, tremolo bar, shoulder strap, and carrying bag.
- Perfect for beginner and intermediate players.
- Ideal kit for anyone interested in learning how to play the electric guitar
- Everything you need to start playing
- Rosewood fingerboard, Canadian maple neck, Solid wood body, S-S-S pickups, One-way tremolo, Pickup switch, Volume & tone controls
Let’s face it. One of the coolest guitars on the planet is the Fender Stratocaster, but who wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a guitar for a kid who is just starting out, and might not even stay interested in playing?
Get them a great little guitar that looks just like a Strat, but comes in a bundle kit that costs less than $200? That guitar is the LyxPro electric guitar, and it comes in a bundle package with everything they need to open the box and start playing.
This is a full-size, 39-inch electric guitar that is ideal for both beginner and intermediate players, so it is a guitar that is going to grow with your young learner. It has a solid wood body, with a neck made from Canadian maple and a rosewood fretboard.
- This guitar has S-S-S pickups, along with a one-way tremolo and a pickup switch. It also has separate volume and tone controls. All of the controls are laid out as they are on a Strat, so they are familiar and easy to reach and manipulate
- The bundle package includes the full-size, 39-inche electric LyxPro electric guitar, a 20-watt amplifier, a digital clip-on tuner, two picks, a set of extra strings, a shoulder strap, a tremolo bar, and a gig bag
- The 20-watt amp is great for beginners. It is just loud enough for them to be able to practice, and not so loud that it is going to drive everyone in the house crazy. It offers a quality sound, which is important for ear training
LyxPro Electric Guitar Package
- While tuning is an important and necessary skill, it is still nice to have this digital clip-on tuner that can be used for other instruments as well
- The carrying case is durable, so it will keep the guitar safe while not in use or when it is being transported
- This guitar is ready to play right out of the box. The strings may be loose, so you will have to tune it, but this protects the neck against warping
- We really don’t have any complaints about this guitar. It has the look and feel of a Strat, at a fraction of the price, and it is an excellent beginner and intermediate guitar
It isn’t often that we find a guitar that we have no complaints about, especially one in this price range, but this is one of those rarities. We like pretty much everything about this guitar. As far as the price goes, this bundle package is costlier than others we are looking at today, but when you consider the quality of the instrument and accessories, you really are getting a pretty great deal.
- This classic single cutaway body shape is made of Linden and has a maple veneer.
- The bolt on neck is made of maple with a natural satin finish. The fingerboard is rosewood with dot inlays.
- With chrome hardware, this guitar has a wrap-around tailpiece with black speed knobs and one screaming humbucker pickup.
- NOTE: Kindly refer the User Manual from the Technical Specification before use which is highly recommended.
Everyone wants to play a Gibson or a Fender guitar, but many people think that they can’t have a quality guitar from either of these manufacturers without having to spend a ton of money. If this is what you’ve been thinking, it’s time to think again. Both manufacturers offer some great quality, low-end guitars, including the Maestro by Gibson. This electric guitar comes with a starter package, so you have everything you need to start playing right away.
This is a cutaway guitar that’s similar in design to the early Les Paul body style Gibson guitars that are so sought-after. The classic design lets you play comfortably, both while sitting and standing, and it offers an ideal tone for anyone who wants to play rock and roll.
- The Maestro by Gibson has a Linden wood body, along with a solid maple neck and rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, making it look as great as it sounds. You will love the classic sunburst pattern that is common in Gibson guitars
- This guitar has a 24.75-inch scale length. This means that there is a lot less tension on the strings, so you don’t have to press on the strings as hard as you would with other guitars. This is great for beginners who haven’t toughened up their fingertips yet
- The tailpiece on this guitar is a traditional, wrap-around design that allows you to enjoy extra sustain, and the precision tuners are die-cast, so the guitar is going to stay in tune longer than other cheap guitars
Maestro by Gibson Starter Package
- This is a starter package that comes with everything you need to start playing, including a practice amp, an aux cord, a strap, extra strings, picks, and a DVD with beginner guitar lessons
- The Humbucker pickup is a Gibson design, and it delivers a strong and powerful tone that is perfect for rock and roll
- There are separate volume and tone controls, and a headphone output jack that cuts out speakers when you are practicing with headphones
- Check the package when it arrives, as not all of the accessories that are promised are always included due to packing errors
- Some people find that this is not a comfortable guitar to play, especially while sitting, because it has many sharp edges
If you really want to play on a Gibson guitar, it is definitely within your reach with the Maestro. This starter package has everything you need to begin learning and playing right away, including a lesson DVD that will help you to get started.
You can buy this guitar for much less than it’s upper-priced counterparts, so you don’t have to spend a lot of money before you decide if you are going to continue learning and playing.
Of all the five guitar sets reviewed here, the Epiphone Les Paul Electric Guitar Player Package is the best electric guitar for beginners who are looking for a longer lasting guitar. Although it may be a little bit more expensive than the others, the quality is that much better than the rest.
It also comes with a great set of accessories that beginners will find useful and essential. It’s a great step in purchasing a guitar and learning how to play it. With a good quality brand, you can also expect a good quality product.
Some Great Alternative Choices for Starter Guitars:
|1||Yamaha JR1 FG Junior 3/4 Size Acoustic Guitar with Gig Bag and Legacy Accessory Bundle||136 Reviews||from $183.25||See It On Amazon|
|2||Fender Squier Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar - Sunburst Bundle with Gig Bag, Tuner, Strap, Strings,...||430 Reviews||$159.99||See It On Amazon|
|3||Portable Pocket Guitar Practice Tool Gadget Guitar Chord Trainer 6 Fret Black + Portable Guitar Bass...||24 Reviews||$13.98||See It On Amazon|