Choosing the right electric guitar for beginners
Purchasing your very first electric guitar, either for yourself or for your child, can be very exciting. It can also get a little confusing if you're not familiar with some of the terminologies, or simply don't know what to look for.
Luckily for you, seeking out the best electric guitar for beginners has resulted in a few good choices available in today's market, coming in a variety of prices to fit various budgets.
Some Great Beginner Guitar Choices at a Glance:
|Full Size Blue Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package||1,028 Reviews||from $149.98|
|Full Size Black Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package||1,421 Reviews||$99.95|
|ZENY 39" Full Size Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package,...||124 Reviews||$77.59 from $74.89|
|Epiphone Les Paul Electric Guitar Player Package, Ebony||239 Reviews||$347.00 from $129.99|
|Rise by Sawtooth ST-RISE-ST-3/4-SB-KIT-1 Electric Guitar Pack, Sunburst||198 Reviews||$99.98 from $82.57|
When shopping for the best option, there are a few things that you should consider. Here are some of them:
First, you should set a budget for the guitar you are purchasing. Just be careful about guitars that seem to be overly cheap. The market is flooded with inferior instruments that we classify as GSOs - Guitar Shaped Objects. They may not be of the good quality and you can end up wasting your money with them. It is important to also see the quality of the guitar in relation to the price.
Another thing to consider is the brand. This can help determine whether a guitar is a great choice or not. Most brands that produce professional grade guitar models for performers will also have sub-brands that are targeted towards the entry level beginners. For example; Gibson use the Epiphone name, Fender uses the Squier name and so on for the lower cost versions of their best guitar designs.
It is also important to consider how you are going to use the guitar. Are you just purchasing a guitar for a game or do you want to really play music with it? You should also think about the certain genre that you are going to play and match your guitar with it.
Best Choice Products Full Size Blue Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package
- Constructed with a hardwood body and fingerboard with truss rod neck
- Classic electric guitar design with 22 frets allows for mellow playing and comfortable neck pickup placement
- Amp includes guitar and microphone outlet, volume control, treble and base control, and drive button
- Set has integrated regulator volume x1, tone x2, 5 scale tone-changer amp, and single coil x3 pickup for a smooth response
- Guitar Dimensions: 39.5"(L) x 10.5"(W) x 2"(H)
This electric guitar package by Best Choice Products is the best electric guitar for beginners who are looking into an electric guitar with a small but capable amp. It has a solid wood body with volume and tone knobs to better control the sounds produced. The guitar package also comes with a usable amp that may be small in size but produces a loud enough sound.
Although you can play the guitar out of the box, it won’t produce a great sound. It first needs to be properly set up and tuned. Once set up and tuned properly, it will sound like the more expensive electric guitars. One thing to note is that the guitar has what are called "single coil pickups", there can be a buzz or hum while you play due to their tendency to "pick up" electronic interference.
- Electric guitar comes with accessories such as a 10W amp, which has a guitar and microphone outlet
- Other accessories included are electric guitar strings, a strap and a nylon gig bag
- Right-hand electric guitar
- Made with solid wood body shaped to provide comfort and control while playing
- Has single coil pickup, pickup selector switch, volume knob and tone knobs
- Fretboard is made from rosewood
- Size is just right, from young kids to full-grown adults
- Affordable guitar that is suitable for beginners who are trying it out, or for more serious players with a smaller budget
- Fret identification is easier because the dots are present
- Small size amp is still able to produce a loud sound indoors
- Comes in a well packed-box and protective packaging to prevent scratches
- The electric guitar still needs to be set up and tuned for it to sound well
- Strings are included but can be replaced for better quality ones
- It doesn’t come with instructions
Davison Guitars Full Size Black Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package
- Full Scale Black Electric Guitar with Maple Neck
- Humbucker Pickup For Rock Sound
- Case Strap Pitchpipe Picks Stringwinder Cord
- Guitar Amp with Headphone Jack & Overdrive (distortion)
- Everything You Need To Start Playing
This electric guitar set by Davison Guitars is the best electric guitar for beginners who don’t have a large budget. It is a well-put guitar but the quality isn’t the best. It will do as a beginner guitar or a guitar that you can use for your games.
The guitar is lightweight and the amp is small, making it a portable set that can still pack a punch. The guitar body is beautifully finished in black, and the maple neck comes in a contrasting color to the body. It has dots on the fretboard for easy identification and the machine heads stay in place to keep the guitar tuned.
This set comes complete with the amp, guitar strings, picks, strap, carry case and cables to connect to the amp. It is a full-scale guitar that comes with everything you need to play it.
- Comes in a full size 39”
- Black electric guitar body made from basswood with contrasting maple neck
- Has a humbucker pickup
- Includes a carrying case, strap, pitch pipe, string winder cord, picks and a guitar amp
- The guitar amp has a headphone jack and an overdrive
- Right-hand guitar
- Fretboard is made of rosewood
- The amp it comes with is small in size but is very useful
- Very affordable price is suited for beginners
- Lightweight guitar is comfortable to carry and play
- Compatible with the Rocksmith game
- It doesn’t get out of tune easily
- Some experience fret buzz especially with the E string
- The amp can also produce a buzzing sound and may need replacement for better sound quality
- Many do not find the pitch pipe useful
ZENY 39" Full Size Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package, Blue
- Right-handed electric guitar with accessories is ideal for beginners and is ready to use out of the box
- Comes with a nylon carrying case perfect for traveling musicians and easy storage
- Made of an all wood construction, steel strings, and an attractive, smooth finish
- Neck: maple wood with truss rod ; String Length: 25.59" / 650mm Pickups: single coil X3 Regulator volume X1, tone X2, 5 scale tone changer
- Amp includes guitar and microphone outlet, volume control, treble and base control, and drive button
The ZENY 39" Full Size Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package is the best electric guitar for a beginner who is looking to get various accessories with their electric guitar. This package is packed with a nylon case, guitar strap, whammy bar, set of strings, picks, Allen screws, and guitar strings.
The guitar itself has a right-hand orientation and has a full wood body finished in shiny black or with a blue accent. The maple fretboard has identifying dot marks to better show the frets, and it has an adjustable guitar bridge system.
Various accessories are selected and included in this set to make sure beginners have everything that they need. The 10-watt and small-sized amplifier is capable of producing a loud guitar sound, and a whammy bar is also included although some experience difficulty in placing it.
- Right-hand guitar that comes with accessories specially put together for beginners
- Available in black or blue
- The guitar is made of all wood with a smooth finish
- Neck is made of maple and it has a truss rod that can be set up prior to tuning
- Set includes the 39” electric guitar, amplifier, bag, strap, cable, picks, Allen key, tremolos rod and set of strings
- Once tuned, players won’t need to retune it often because it holds the tune well
- Comes at an affordable price including accessories
- Small amp is capable of producing a loud sound
- The bag is of low quality and it easily gets damaged
- Whammy bar doesn’t screw in place
- Some orders have missing accessories
Epiphone Les Paul Electric Guitar Player Package, Ebony
- Epiphone's Les Paul Player Pack has everything you need to start playing guitar right away
- It includes a genuine Les Paul Special-II LTD guitar featuring two classic hum bucker pickups and a 10-watt Electra guitar amp with a 10ft guitar cable.
- Epiphone also includes a clip-on headstock chromatic tuner, a guitar strap, medium picks, and an easy-to-carry gig bag.
- And best of all for new players, the Les Paul Player Pack comes with free downloadable guitar lessons from media.
Epiphone has been creating innovative guitar designs for the past century and they are well known for producing fine crafted instruments. This Les Paul Electric Guitar Player Package is known for the great sound quality, which it produces due to the open-coil humbucker and the solid wood body. This produces a great quality of sound without buzz, whether you use it for clean tones or on overdrive.
It may be more expensive than the others listed here but it offers a better quality guitar with additional useful accessories that beginners will certainly use. It is the best electric guitar for beginners who are really picky with the sound quality that their guitar produces. It is a less expensive alternative that is great for beginners to practice on before they upgrade into the more expensive Fender or Gibson guitars.
The complete package contains the guitar, an amp, a guitar cable, a tuner, picks, gig bag, and a clip-on tuner. It comes in various colors to suit your preference and it is also available in different game configurations for compatibility to your game console.
- The player package includes a Les Paul Special-II LTD guitar
- The guitar has two classic humbucker pickups
- The package includes a 10-watt amp, 10’ guitar cable, gig bag, guitar strap, picks, and clip-on tuner
- Solid wood guitar body and mahogany neck
- Fretboard is made from rosewood
- Right-handed guitar
- Has the Les Paul signature to easily identify it as a great quality guitar
- Downloadable guitar lessons are also available and are quite useful for new players
- The solid body combined with the open-coil humbuckers produce a buzz free and rich sound
- The clip-on chromatic tuner makes it easier to tune the guitar
- Rosewood fretboard has dot inlays for easy fret identification
- Available in various colors and game configuration
- Players who plan to replace the lighter strings with heavier ones may need a truss rod due to the additional tension
- Some don’t like the quality of the amp and have replaced it with better quality amp that produces a better quality of sound.
Rise by Sawtooth ST-RISE-ST-3/4-SB-KIT-1 Electric Guitar Pack, Sunburst
- Basswood Body, Maple Neck
- Maple Fretboard with Dot Inlays
- 24" Scale Length, Adjustable Bridge
- Chrome Hardware
- Kit Includes: Electric Guitar, Portable Beginner's Amp(Amp Power Adapter & Batteries Not Included with Purchase), Guitar Strap, Guitar Cable, Gig Bag, Pitch Pipe, 3 Pick Sampler & Online Lesson
This "Rise by Sawtooth" guitar kit is budget friendly and it comes with the essential items that a beginner player needs such as a guitar bag, strap, picks, amp, pitch pipe and picks. The Rise guitar itself has a basswood body, and a maple neck and fretboard. It has an adjustable guitar bridge system and a humbucker pickup that helps produce a good quality of sound.
This guitar kit is the best electric guitar for beginners who are looking for an affordable, but real guitar that they can play and produce music; not just a guitar for the sake of it. It comes in two colors, either sunburst or black. It is also available in either a left-handed or right-handed orientation either as a full sized or a 3/4 sized guitar one.
- The guitar is made with a basswood body and maple neck
- The fretboard is made from maple and it comes with dot inlays
- The bridge is adjustable
- The machine heads are finished in chrome
- Included in the kit are the following: amp, guitar strap, guitar cable, gig bag, pitch pipe, picks, and online lessons
- The battery powered amp comes in a small size that is easy to travel with or transport
- It has a very affordable price tag
- Many, especially beginners, find the pitch pipe difficult to use when tuning the guitar
- The amp doesn’t come with batteries nor a power adapter
- The guitar can easily be get out of tune, which is why it needs constant tuning
- Many hear buzzing that comes from the guitar when used
Of all the five guitar sets reviewed here, the Epiphone Les Paul Electric Guitar Player Package is the best electric guitar for beginners who are looking for a longer lasting guitar. Although it may be a little bit more expensive than the others, the quality is that much better than the rest.
It also comes with a great set of accessories that beginners will find useful and essential. It's a great step in purchasing a guitar and learning how to play it. With a good quality brand, you can also expect a good quality product.
Some Great Alternative Choices for Starter Guitars:
|1||First Act FG127 Acoustic Guitar||657 Reviews||$59.99 $38.61||See It On Amazon|
|2||Crescent MG38-CF 38" Acoustic Guitar Starter Package, COFFEE (Includes CrescentTM Digital E-Tuner)||2,549 Reviews||from $39.95||See It On Amazon|
|3||Fender FA-100 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar - Black Bundle with Gig Bag, Tuner, Strings, Strap, and...||482 Reviews||$169.99||See It On Amazon|