5 of the Best Cheap Electric Guitars for Starting Out
Do you have a child who wants to learn how to play the electric guitar? Are you worried that you could end up spending a lot of money on an instrument that they might lose interest in after just a few weeks or months?
If you want to encourage your child’s love of music without spending a lot of money, we have just the guitars for you. These guitars are low end, but offer most of the same features as their more expensive counterparts. Even better, they all look cool, so your kids are that much more inclined to pick them up and enjoy playing them. Today we’re going to take a look at five of the best cheap electric guitars that are ideal for beginners.
Our best cheap electric guitar choices at a glance:
|Full Size Blue Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package||1,039 Reviews||from $149.98|
|ZENY 39" Full Size Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package,...||138 Reviews||$83.49 from $82.89|
|LyxPro Electric Guitar with 20w Amp, Package Includes All Accessories, Digital Tuner, Strings,...||109 Reviews||$129.99|
|Squier by Fender Short Scale Stratocaster - Brown Sunburst Bundle with Frontman 10G Amp, Cable,...||45 Reviews||$219.99|
|Crescent GREEN/BLACK Electric Guitar+15w AMP+Strap+Cord+Gigbag NEW||85 Reviews||$99.95 from $99.85|
1. Full Size Blue Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package
- Constructed with a hardwood body and fingerboard with truss rod neck
- Classic electric guitar design with 22 frets allows for mellow playing and comfortable neck pickup placement
- Amp includes guitar and microphone outlet, volume control, treble and base control, and drive button
- Set has integrated regulator volume x1, tone x2, 5 scale tone-changer amp, and single coil x3 pickup for a smooth response
- Guitar Dimensions: 39.5"(L) x 10.5"(W) x 2"(H)
Maybe you aren’t ready to spend a lot of money on an actual name-brand guitar, and you want to get one that is inexpensive until you know that your kids are going to want to stick with it. This is a great reason to buy this Full Size Blue Electric Guitar Beginner Starter Package by Best Choice Products, which includes all of the necessary accessories, even a practice amp. This guitar has a classic Stratocaster design.
This bundle kit comes with everything the beginner needs, including a practice amp, an aux cord, a strap, extra strings, and even a whammy bar, so your kids are going to be able to have a lot of fun learning and creating interesting sounds.
- This guitar has the features you would expect on a more expensive model, including three single-coil pickups, a volume control knob, a tone control knob, and a five-scale tone-changer amp. It has a decent sound for such a cheap guitar
- This is no lightweight (although it isn’t super-heavy either). This guitar is made with a solid, hardwood body, and the fingerboard has a truss rod neck so it is going to stand up to a lot of abuse by younger players
- The amplifier includes both guitar and microphone outlets, as well as a volume control, a treble control, a bass control, and a drive button. It may not have overdrive, but you can always purchase effects pedals when your kids are ready for them
- This is an in-between guitar, with 22 frets instead of the usual 20 found in most low-end guitars, but not the 24 frets that make it easier for the instrument to grow with the player
- The single-coil pickup gives players a smooth tone that is perfect for a variety of music styles, including blues and rock and roll.
- This package comes with a nylon gig bag that makes storing and transporting this guitar safe and easy
- Users may find that there is a buzzing sound in the lower frets that just will not go away. At such a low price, it may not be worth taking it in for adjustments
- There have been some issues with this guitar arriving damaged. The main damages reported have been with the neck and some parts may be missing
All in all, if you are looking for a starter kit for a beginning guitar player, and you don’t want to spend more than $100, this is a great package to look into. Everything the budding musician needs to start learning and playing right away is included, so you don’t have to go out and buy any extra accessories. This is not a top of the line guitar, but it is ideal for kids who are just starting out in the world of the guitar.
2. ZENY 39″ Full Size Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package, Black
- Right-handed electric guitar with accessories is ideal for beginners and is ready to use out of the box
- Comes with a nylon carrying case perfect for traveling musicians and easy storage
- Made of an all wood construction, steel strings, and an attractive, smooth finish
- Neck: maple wood with truss rod ; String Length: 25.59" / 650mm Pickups: single coil X3 Regulator volume X1, tone X2, 5 scale tone changer
Another great deal is the ZENY 39-inch, full-size electric guitar bundle starter kit, which is perfect for any beginner. This is a right-handed electric guitar that has an all-wood construction with a nice looking finish that is smooth. With a neck made from maple and a solid truss rod, this guitar is ready to use right out of the box. The only thing missing is a tuner. You could go out and buy one, but it is best if the student learns how to tune by ear. After all, they may not always have a tuner with them, so they need this important skill.
This is a great beginner guitar outfit for the price, and it is perfect for kids. Because it isn’t expensive, you aren’t going to be too worried if they handle it a bit roughly at first. Until they learn how to handle an instrument, an inexpensive model such as the ZENY is the ideal guitar.
- This bundle package has everything the student guitar player needs to begin playing, and it is ready to go right out of the box (it does need to be tuned). The bundle comes with the guitar, a nylon gig bag, a guitar strap, a set of extra strings, picks, Allen screws, and a whammy bar
- This is a right-handed guitar with a solid wood body. Finished in black or black with a blue accent, this attractive guitar has a maple fretboard with dot marks. It also has an adjustable guitar bridge system
- This kit comes with a 10-watt practice amp. It is small in size, but you will be surprised at the big sound it delivers
- Unlike other guitars in this same price range, this guitar is easy to tune, and it actually holds the tune well for several hours of playing
- The pickups on this guitar give it a great sound output, which is especially important in the early stages when students are training their ears
- This is a reasonably priced package at less than $100. If you go to most music stores, you won’t find many guitars for that price, let alone a bundle package
- Be sure to check the box to make sure that all of the accessories are included. Due to packing errors, some items may be missing
- If you order the royal blue, be prepared for a color that is not what you expect. This is actually a much brighter shade of blue
When you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a guitar outfit for a beginner, but you want to make sure that they have everything they need to learn how to play, this is a great setup to get for them. The guitar has a decent sound, and it looks as cool as any of the more expensive models, so kids will love it. The amp isn’t loud, but that is probably best anyway in the beginning.
3. LyxPro Electric Guitar with 20w Amp, Package Includes All Accessories
- Full-size 39" electric guitar and all the accessories necessary to start playing, including a 20W amplifier, digital clip-on tuner, 6 strings, 2 picks, tremolo bar, shoulder strap, and carrying bag.
- Perfect for beginner and intermediate players.
- Ideal kit for anyone interested in learning how to play the electric guitar
- Everything you need to start playing
- Rosewood fingerboard, Canadian maple neck, Solid wood body, S-S-S pickups, One-way tremolo, Pickup switch, Volume & tone controls
Let’s face it. One of the coolest guitars on the planet is the Fender Stratocaster, but who wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a guitar for a kid who is just starting out, and might not even stay interested in playing? Get them a great little guitar that looks just like a Strat, but comes in a bundle kit that costs less than $200? That guitar is the LyxPro electric guitar, and it comes in a bundle package with everything they need to open the box and start playing.
This is a full-size, 39-inch electric guitar that is ideal for both beginner and intermediate players, so it is a guitar that is going to grow with your young learner. It has a solid wood body, with a neck made from Canadian maple and a rosewood fretboard.
- This guitar has S-S-S pickups, along with a one-way tremolo and a pickup switch. It also has separate volume and tone controls. All of the controls are laid out as they are on a Strat, so they are familiar and easy to reach and manipulate
- The bundle package includes the full-size, 39-inche electric LyxPro electric guitar, a 20-watt amplifier, a digital clip-on tuner, two picks, a set of extra strings, a shoulder strap, a tremolo bar, and a gig bag
- The 20-watt amp is great for beginners. It is just loud enough for them to be able to practice, and not so loud that it is going to drive everyone in the house crazy. It offers a quality sound, which is important for ear training
- While tuning is an important and necessary skill, it is still nice to have this digital clip-on tuner that can be used for other instruments as well
- The carrying case is durable, so it will keep the guitar safe while not in use or when it is being transported
- This guitar is ready to play right out of the box. The strings may be loose, so you will have to tune it, but this protects the neck against warping
- We really don’t have any complaints about this guitar. It has the look and feel of a Strat, at a fraction of the price, and it is an excellent beginner and intermediate guitar
It isn’t often that we find a guitar that we have no complaints about, especially one in this price range, but this is one of those rarities. We like pretty much everything about this guitar. As far as the price goes, this bundle package is costlier than others we are looking at today, but when you consider the quality of the instrument and accessories, you really are getting a pretty great deal.
4. Squier by Fender Stratocaster Pack
- Short-scale 24" Stratocaster is great for smaller hands
- Three single-coil Stratocaster pickups
- Hardtail bridge
- Includes: Frontman 10G guitar amplifier
You don’t necessarily have to spend a lot of money to have the look and feel of a Fender Stratocaster. In fact, you can get a low-end version of this guitar, and it is made by Fender, so you know it is going to be a quality instrument, even if it is inexpensive. The Fender Squier was introduced to the world in 1982, and is mainly produced overseas, at factories that are mainly located in China and other parts of Asia. They are able to manufacture these guitars with cost-efficient materials, and bring the savings to you.
This is a bundle package, so not only do you get the Squier guitar, you also get everything that is needed to jump right in and start playing. All the student needs to do is tune it up and it is ready to play, right out of the box.
- This bundle package comes with the Squier electric guitar, and all of the necessary accessories. The bundle includes the guitar, a practice amp, a guitar shoulder strap, extra strings, a polishing cloth, and three guitar picks
- This guitar has a lightweight body, unlike the heavier Stratocaster, making it a great choice for children. It has three single-coil pickups, which give it that classic Stratocaster tone, and a hardtail bridge for perfect tuning
- The Squier Stratocaster has a master volume control and a master tone control, with chrome finish hardware. The tuning machines are standard die-cast, and there is a three-ply, white pick guard
- One of the great things about a Squier is that because it is made by Fender, it is resalable. If your young learner decides that they aren’t interested, sell it and get some of your money back
- This is a short-scale Stratocaster that is 24 inches in length. This smaller size makes it ideal for children, or anyone who has smaller hands
- An instructional DVD is included, and it is loaded with tips that are geared toward the beginning guitar player
- Check the box to make sure that all items are included. Due to packing errors, some customers have not received the entire bundle package
- There have been issues with scratches and dings on these guitars, but they can be replaced by contacting customer service
Most kids would love to start out on a real Strat, but this is just way too much money to spend on a beginner. The Fender Squier Strat is the ideal compromise, because you still get the Fender quality, and the Strat style, without the regular Strat price. This bundle package is a great deal, with everything the student needs, and it is a guitar that they can learn and grow with.
5. Crescent GREEN/BLACK Electric Guitar
- 15w Electric Guitar Amp
- Volume, Bass,& Trembol Control Knob
- Headphone Output Connection
- L.E.D. Power Signal
- Ultra-Thin Slick Design For Easy/Light Transport
If your kid wants to learn how to play the guitar, and they want a guitar that looks really cool, the Crescent GREEN/BLACK electric guitar bundle kit may be the way to go. This bundle set costs less than $110, and it has everything the budding musician needs to get started. This is a full-size, 39-inch electric guitar that sounds great, and looks awesome. Your kid will think they are the coolest guitar player in the neighborhood when they have this instrument.
Crescent is a company that specializes in making stringed instruments, including entry-level guitars that are ideal for students and intermediate players. They offer inexpensive guitars that are made with quality materials, and have a terrific sound quality.
- The Crescent GREEN/BLACK electric guitar has a unique color that you won’t find on many other guitars. If your young musician wants something really cool and different looking, this is a guitar that is meant to impress
- The starter bundle package includes the Crescent electric guitar, a 15-watt practice amp, an aux cable, a nylon gig bag, a guitar shoulder strap, extra strings, a whammy bar, Allen keys, and three guitar picks
- The amp is a basic model that has a clean, clear sound (or dirtier if you prefer). It has 15 watts of power. It has basic controls, including the volume control, treble control, and mids and bass controls. It isn’t overly loud, but loud enough to produce the necessary sound for practicing
- This guitar has a feature that many guitars in this price range do not have: 22 frets. This means that not only is it a great beginner guitar, it will grow with the student, and when they get to the intermediate level, they can play around on the higher frets
- This guitar has a solid basswood body and neck, so it is a sturdy instrument, making it ideal for children who tend to be a bit rougher on things
- This is a great value. You get everything needed to start playing right away (except lessons) for less than $110
- The action seems to be a bit high, which is not good for beginners because the strings are higher, making it necessary to press down harder on them
- This guitar may not be completely set up when it arrives, so someone will need to set it up, including installing strings and tuning
This is a good instrument for beginners, especially if you can find someone to lower the action and get the strings closer to the neck. You should be able to have this done at most music stores for a small fee. The color is awesome, and if your young learner doesn’t like green, it is available in other colors. This is a great bundle package for beginners, at a great price.
Compare the best models:
It isn’t necessary to go out and buy an expensive guitar and amp for someone who is just starting to play. These five guitars all cost well under $200, and they come with amps and other accessories so they can jump right in and begin playing as soon as their new guitars arrive.