Learn Guitar Quicker with Apps
We’re very lucky in that we can find help on almost everything on your mobile phone, including apps that accelerate how to learn and practice playing guitar.
If you are interested in giving guitar a good shot, there are many apps that’ll help you learn the basics as well as top techniques.
Below are the best guitar learning apps to get you going:
1. JamPlay Apps
With a full suite of free apps that work for virtually every device on the market, JamPlay definitely has you covered. Featuring a comprehensive list of individual essentials for guitarists at all levels, these apps leave you no excuse for staying connected to your guitar and on top of your playing. Some of the impressive features include:
- A Chord Library with quick access to thousands of chords voicings
- A Scale Library for referencing dozens of scales across all keys
- Backing Tracks for jamming to frequently-added backing tracks
- A Metronome to improve your timing and speed
- A Tuner that uses your device’s built-in microphone, plus much more.
2. Guitar Lessons by Guitar Tricks
This app especially brings out clear lessons and a step by step instruction which make it even more interesting and fun. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced guitarist, Guitar Tricks will give just what you need to playing and practicing the guitar. When using this app you get the benefit of these features:
- A beginner learning system that ensures 50-100% fast learning.
- There are lessons for every skill and genre, including guitar chords and scales.
- Teaching over 600+ songs from big established artists like the Beatles, Stevie Ray Vaughn and many others.
- To access all this, and many more great features, you’ll need a subscription to access the app, but it’s affordable.
3. Fender Play App
Guitar manufacturing giant Fender is keen on turning new players into enthusiastic players for life with help from the Fender Play app.
Developed over several years with considerable assistance from music educators, the Fender Play App allows users to:
- choose their own path
- select the songs
- pick from genres
- learn at their own pace
- and track their progress.
Short, easily digestible video lessons enable users to comprehend and master skills very quickly, allowing many users to play their first riffs within minutes. Currently available on iPhone, iPad and Android platforms
4. FaChords Interactive Apps
FaChords interactive guitar apps offer a full suite of interactive apps covering virtually every aspect of learning guitar. Not only are they loaded with features and able to work across all devices, the apps can accommodate 7 string instruments, alternate tunings, bass, mandolin, ukulele, and can be oriented for left hand players.
Other top guitar app features from FaChords include:
- Memorize All the Notes on the Fretboard
- Improve Intervals Knowledge and Fretboard Navigation
- Master Guitar Scales and Arpeggios
- Play Chords in all Positions and Inversions
- Play Solos Over a Chord Progression with the Right Notes
- Unveil and Use the Secrets of the Circle Of Fifths
- Improve your Interval Pitch Recognition
- Identify any Kind of Chord
- Understand Modes and Apply The To Your Solos
You can use it for free as much as you want, plus you don’t need to download/install anything as the software run in the native browser.
5. Guitar World Lessons
With the Guitar World Lessons app, you’ll find hundreds of guitar lessons and choose from any genre. The artistic lesson teaches you to play the guitar like a pro. The search function allows a guitarist to search by the instructor, genre, or song.
Downloading the app is completely free but you have to pay for every lesson that you want to take. However, the lessons are very affordable and, in addition, the first lesson is absolutely free.
6. Guitar Chalk Interactive Builder Apps
While they won’t necessarily improve your playing, these Interactive Builder Apps from Guitar Chalk will certainly help take some frustration out of personalizing your own gear.
The Virtual Pedalboard Planner makes organizing your perfect board a breeze. Through the use a drag-and-drop interface, you can mix and match a wide selection of brand name boards and popular pedals. Plus there are handy signal flow icons to help you visualize how things will work in the real world.
For guitar mods, the Parts Customizer app is handy for those significant upgrades such as better pickups, bridges and other common parts. Plus you can check out unique products from other manufacturers you might not be familiar with.
7. Ultimate Guitar Tabs HD
This is the rarest type of guitar app you’ll find on the internet as it boasts over 1 million tabs and cords. If you fancy adding the vocal lines, Ultimate Guitar Tabs HD features lyrics and over 600,000 tabs and chords to choose from. It also gets bonus points as Ultimate Guitar Tabs can be accessed offline. The App has been highly praised by popular musicians.
Some selected tabs also come with playback. Other features include popular songs from latest releases which are added daily to keep the app super fresh. You can also navigate easily for a quick search through the app.
8. Coach Guitar
This app is just tailor-made for that beginner who would want to play the guitar but has never held an instrument in their lifetime. Coach Guitar teaches using colors instead of using terms that may leave the learner confused. With this app, you can learn various genres of guitar playing such as rock, pop, alternative, metal, and country.
In addition, this app adds lessons every week; this makes it even more fun to learn different things on a regular basis.
9. Learn Guitar Chords
The Learn Guitar Chords app is based on teaching the chords of the traditional guitar.
As a novice guitarist, you typically start the process by learning about chords. Chords are one of the fundamental building blocks of guitar playing. The Learn Guitar Chords is an app that focuses on these very basic principles.
This app offers 23 chords that you learn from and the advanced version where you can download more chords and learn more. It offers acoustic and electric music for the guitarist.
10. Justin Guitar by Four Chords
Justin Sandercoe is perhaps the world’s best guitar teaching personality. This app has been developed with his expertise with entry level instruction and is best for those who are green at guitar; perfect for a total beginner.
- A number of exercises that will guide you well through the guitar, with detailed lessons that are given by the instructor.
- It’s very popular since it has taught millions of users how to play the guitar.
- It offers over 25 instructional videos with 90 minutes in length.
- This app is highly recommended by the experts as well as regular users. The app is free, but it comes with in-app purchases meaning that you’ll have to pony up a small fee to complete the guitar tutorial.
Honorable Mention: The Amped Guitar App
One of the more recent additions to the world of top guitar learning apps is Amped. Geared with modern students in mind, it’s completely app-based and makes good use of very short videos to help foster quick wins.
Conclusion: What’s The Best App To Learn Guitar?
Depending on your specific needs, style and skill level, any one of these apps may be the solution. You have nothing to lose in trying, and everything to gain in a lifetime of playing guitar.
Learning guitar can be challenging as it’s not an immediate gratification process – but it’s totally worth the effort.
The learning curve can be solved by the above-listed apps that assist in making the lessons easy access, any where, any time on your favorite device.
All you have to do is choose the best app along with your best guitar and keep on practicing until you play it like a legend.