Does the PYLE-PRO PGEKT18 Unfinished Guitar Kit have everything you need to build a cool Stratocaster-style electric guitar? Find out in our easy-read review.
At a glance:
A Strat-Style Guitar Kit from PYLE-PRO
Building a guitar might sound like a mountain to climb, but if you purchase the right DIY guitar kit, the whole process is not as difficult as it might sound. There are many advantages to going through this process, and many musicians feel that creating the guitar yourself.
At least putting the parts together, means you are more ‘at one’ with the instrument, and it therefore becomes an extension of you. This means you can make better music, and also aids newbies in their art.
The PYLE-PRO Unfinished Electric Guitar Kit has many advantages, and it is certainly a very highly rated kit amongst experienced players, and new players alike. To sum up its pros and cons, let’s check out a more detailed review.
- Half finished, so you only have to complete the final half
- All parts included
- A comprehensive instruction book included also
- Solid maple neck section and fretted fingerboard made of rosewood design
- Main body of the guitar made from high quality basswood
- Pre-drilled holes
- Electronic parts already in place
Keep in mind the price point of this product when compared to others, is quite low – you get what you pay for. And as with any guitar, the real potential for trouble lies in the neck. As long as the neck is true, everything else should fall into place.
Compare similar guitar kits:
PYLE-PRO PGEKT18 Guitar Kit
- A good choice for beginners, as you only have to finish the guitar – it is half built already
- Lightweight design, at just 9.1lb when complete
- Everything included in the kit, including a good quality manual for ease of building
- All holes pre-drilled, so no need to do anything too in-depth when putting it together
- Electronic parts are all ready to go
- Some users state that the holes can be a little tight and require slightly forceful installation
- Only available in right hand design
- Best for beginners, not ideal for experienced players/guitar builders
For beginners, the PYLE-PRO Unfinished Guitar Kit is a great bare bones choice.
When looking for a starter kit, you need something which is not going to be a drama to put together – the fact the guitar is already half assembled means that you can still gain a lot of pleasure from creating the instrument yourself, but most of the job is already done for you.
The electronics in the guitar are also already in place and that is another headache solved.
Whilst some reviews state that the pre-drilled holes can be a little tight, this is not a wide reaching criticism, and seems to be hit and miss – this is easily surpassed. The kit also includes everything you need to create the guitar, including strings, and the easy to follow instruction manual makes the whole job simple.
The guitar, when finished, is a very attractive choice, and made primarily of a fretted rosewood neck and a basswood body, it is a long lasting design also.
As we mentioned, it is only available in right handed versions, so this is something you need to bear in mind if you are left handed. The guitar is also extremely lightweight, at just 8.5lb, which not only helps when putting it together, but when playing also.
Overall, this is a reasonable quality product, and one which comes very highly recommended with reviews from previous buyers.